Re: [lro] Re: Lucas Washers

From: Frank Elson (frank.elson@ntlworld.com)
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 14:27:25 EST

    >>> TeriAnn writes: >>>All this leads me to suspect that LR windscreen
    washers were a dealer
    installed option and that there was no real standard set of parts until
    late series IIA.

    I always find the optional equipment catalogue to be entertaining<<<

    I find all parts books entertaining. Sit and read one of an evening it's
    amazing what you can come up with. I have a recovery loop on the rear
    crossmember of PKV. People are always admiring it and asking where I got it.
    'Original Equipment Land Rover, it's in the parts book' always has them
    amazed.

    I can't remember the dates now but it seems as if around the end of the
    Ser2A when windscreen washers became compulsory on new UK vehicles. Before
    that the aftermarket folks had it all to themselves.
     Then, a coupla years later they became compulsory on all vehicles, old 'uns
    as well, setting off a new scramble among the aftermarket people.
     Tudor did very well out of all this...
    ISTR they merged to become Tudor-Webasto at some point - now just Webasto.

    Of course, Sweden, Germany... the US had different laws which had to be
    looked at when selling to those countries.

    Also: someone was talking about washer tubes on the wiper blades... this was
    a normal modification on rally and rally-cross cars in the late 1960s. I
    remember doing it to my Mini Cooper in '69.
     You just added more tube to the jets then fastened the tubing to the wiper
    arm.. Of course where the tube creased it broke eventually, but you could
    get a good few months out of it and the tubing was cheap enough.
    It started with just the tube spewing water but soon we started to block the
    end and then make a row of holes the length of the wiper blade. Very
    effective.
    Another mod was to join the tube from the washer bottle to a length of thin
    copper tubing (microbore, do you have that?) the wrap that around the
    exhaust manifold, then more plastic tube. Voila, heated washer water for icy
    conditions.

    Best Cheers

    Reverend Frank