Re: [lro] Re: Lucas Washers

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 10:31:35 EST

    All this leads me to suspect that LR windscreen washers were a dealer
    installed option and that there was no real standard set of parts until
    late series IIA.

    I just pulled the optional parts catalogue and looked through it. As
    near as I can tell washer systems were only a factory installed option
    from late series IIA and newer. There were both mechanical and
    electric pump versions.

    I strongly suspect windscreen washers for Series II & early IIA were
    dealer only installed options and the dealer used whatever they could
    get which was often various TUDOR kits.

    My 1960 had what I believe to be a dealer instillation. It had a round
    TUDOR bottle in a metal holder and a tube going up to the bulkhead held
    in place by steel clamps. The deluxe bonnet has 2 adjustable
    (universal?) jets on the bonnet, with tubes going though a hole in each
    of the two stiffening rods to a plastic 'T'. The section that had the
    pushbutton pump was long gone but the time I bought the Green Rover in
    1978. I have long since added a standard Lucas washer pump & turned it
    into an electric washer system.

    One thing I did notice was that Swedish spec Series III also had a
    headlamp washer system. Oooo and it has this real nifty wiper system
    as well. A series rig with headlamp washer and wipers. How plush can
    you get?

    how 'bout this! The German market series III had optional wider front
    seats, cam adjustable seat back angle and insulated seat box (similar
    insulation as US Defender). The German market also got a side hinged
    tailgate similar to the Defender tailgate.

    I always find the optional equipment catalogue to be entertaining

    > In one of my manuals, it shows a washer system with tubes that go up
    > the
    > wiper arms so the fluid comes out right on the blades. Maybe that's
    > what the '63 had.
    >
    > Ralph Bradt wrote:
    >>
    >> My '63 had the Tudor pump in the dash, but nothing else of the
    >> system. I
    >> thought about resurrecting the system, but I can't figure out where
    >> the
    >> jets would go. No holes in the bonnet. I like the Rover-like
    >> simplicity
    >> of Jim Hall's system. Just reach around the windscreen with a bottle
    >> of
    >> Windex.

    TeriAnn J. Wakeman
          Marigold Ltd.