[lro] New Rover needs help - engine seized ???

From: Todd Kendrick (kendrick@laplaza.org)
Date: Sat Jan 18 2003 - 10:52:48 EST

                Hello All! I recently acquired a 1973 Series III 88"
    (#25901401B) from a local guy who has had it here for 15 years (though
    it has not run in that time). It has a New Mexico tag from 1985 that
    expired long ago. It also has a sticker from "British Auto Services,
    Inc. Rockville Maryland"; although it was titled here in NM in 1973
    originally.
     I bought it from the deceased owner's son who did not know much about
    it or what was wrong with the LR. The good news is it is very complete
    and very straight w/ very little rust and I acquired it for very cheap;
    the bad news is the engine seems to be seized. Any ideas on how to
    un-seize the motor or better yet any ideas on how to determine if it is
    seized for sure? I have been trying to turn the hand crank clockwise and
    it won't budge; I have also tried to turn over the starter and it seems
    to just click like the starter is trying but the engine wont turn over.
    I do not have any plug wires in it but it should turn over without them
    should it not??? The engine oil is very clean. Any help/ideas would be
    appreciated. Thanks

    Todd Kendrick
    Taos, NM
    '66 109" P/U (running)