Re: [lro] New Rover needs help - engine seized ???

From: Todd Kendrick (kendrick@laplaza.org)
Date: Sat Jan 18 2003 - 23:03:04 EST

            First of all I would like to thank everyone for all of the
suggestions. This is what makes this list so invaluable; now for the bad
news. When I pulled out the last spark plug (closest to firewall) I
noticed it seemed very tight and hard to remove. When I finally got it
out the tip was broken and knocked over to the side of the plug and the
top of the pug was indented; obviously something had hit the plug
possibly the piston? So I put in some Marvel Mystery Oil anyway and I
will let it sit for a while and see what happens. But it looks like I
will definitely be doing a rebuild...amazing to me since this truck only
has 69,000 original miles. Anyone ever had a similar experience?
So I am thinking of buying a complete engine and rebuilding this one in
my spare time; knowing how many man hours my last rebuild took in 1998.
Where is the best place to buy a complete engine and approximate prices?
Anyone done the "Robert Davis" conversion and had success ? Thanks for
any and all the input.

Todd Kendrick
Taos, NM
'66 109" P/U (rebuilt motor in 1998)
'73 88" (awaiting a new motor or rebuild)
'60 88" (don't ask)