Re: [lro] Torches ? (was Repairing holes in roof top)

From: Alan J. Richer (mrchurchill109@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 11:42:11 EDT

    --- Tom Proctor <t_proctor@advantechinternational.com>
    wrote:

    > Since my propane torch head has apparently gone MIA, what
    > type should I
    > replace it with?

    MAPP is great stuff - definitely somewhat hotter than
    propane but still available in a nice small container for
    tight space work.

    I must confess my favorte torch (I own several - yes, I am
    an anorak) is a TurboTorch with a regulator to work off a
    propane tank and a long hose. It's really nice in the shop
    - the handle is light in weight and this thing cranks out
    some SERIOUS heat. I've used it to melt aluminium for
    casting...8*)

    MAPP torches with a short hose and valve can be had, too -
    I have one of those and for downright portability with the
    advantages of the above you can't beat it. It works with
    either MAPP or propane...handy when you run out of MAPP and
    need to nail the propane container off the Coleman lamp to
    finish a job.

    If you have the leisure, browse the flea market. it's
    amazing what you can run across. My TurboTorch with
    regulator and a full but out-of-date propane bottle cost me
    $22.00.....

    > Oh, and Al, there is no headliner and it should be well
    > stripped of the glue
    > residue before I start to play with it ;-)

    Never hurts to mention it....

    On a blacksmithing forum I occasionally lurk on I remember
    seeing a post from some poor sod who tried to damp the
    ringing of his anvil...by wrapping it in foam rubber. From
    the confession of said poor sod the pyrotechnics were
    spectacular the minute the foam came in contact with hot
    scale.

    Let's be careful out there...8*) -ajr

    =====
    The journey is the destination. Anything else is illusion.

    Please ignore the following advertising.....
    http://search.yahoo.com