Re: [lro] Roverdrive

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2003 - 13:48:40 EDT

    > QUESTION: As far as wear and tear on the engine which of the two
    > scenarios would be better? 1) Stock 4th gear. 3,000 rpm cruise, but
    > gas pedal not pressed to the floor.
    > 2) Overdrive. 2,500 or so rpm, but gas pedal on the floor (more gas
    > same speed).
    >
    > It is a choice I have to make fairly often when the wind is really
    > blowing.

    My guess is that wear is about the same. What you are describing is a
    condition that calls for a vacume gauge. You can use it to keep your
    engine from working too hard under adverse conditions, trying to push
    too tall a gear. And from using more gas than you need to. Of course
    in Texas they practically give gas away so fuel economy may not matter
    to you. Unlike here where it is still over $2.00/gal.

    TeriAnn J. Wakeman
          Marigold Ltd.
          www.marigoldltd.com