[lro] Roverdrive

From: Smokey Briggs (smokey@pecos.net)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2003 - 13:11:31 EDT

    Thought this might be of general interest to the list:

    Installed a roverdrive unit purchased from British Pacific about a
    month ago in the 109 station wagon.

    Weeeeeeeeeeeee!

    Installation was a breeze once I figured out that the inside piece was
    simply stuck up in the actual overdrive. Very tight fit. A good bounce
    on the bench freed it up enough to coax it the rest of the way out.

    High ratio is great on the flats out here. Gas mileage is up when I can
    keep my foot off the floor as I attempt to set new land speed records
    for rovers.

    Unit has about 1,500 miles on it now (work has called for quite a bit
    of driving lately).

    Performance with 2.25 in relatively good shape is good. I can hold 60+
    up a grade of 6-8 percent. Headwinds of more than 20 mph negate the
    high ratio pretty quickly.

    Noise: Gear train noise is negligible now with or without the
    overdrive installed. (It made a big difference )

    QUESTION: As far as wear and tear on the engine which of the two
    scenarios would be better? 1) Stock 4th gear. 3,000 rpm cruise, but
    gas pedal not pressed to the floor.
            2) Overdrive. 2,500 or so rpm, but gas pedal on the floor (more gas
    same speed).

    It is a choice I have to make fairly often when the wind is really
    blowing.

    All the best,

    Smokey Briggs
    Pecos, Texas