[lro] Salisbury Axles and finding TDC...

From: Robert Palmer (rbpalmer_nrt@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2003 - 11:06:32 EDT

    Two quick questions, hopefully someone has some insight out there!

    1. Smashed the front diff cover of my 101, replaced the Salisbury cover
    with a Dana 60 cover. There are some slight differences in the housing -
    enough that the fancy diff guard I have for a Dana 60 axle fits fine on the
    Dana 60 cover, but will not fit on the Salisbury cover. So the question
    comes up... Are there any ill effects to using a Dana 60 cover on a
    Salisbury axle? i.e. ring gear clearances, etc.? Ideally I'd like to get a
    second Dana 60 cover so I can hook up the diff guar on my rear axle as well,
    but wanted to get a second opinion first.

    2. The 109 got it's tune up and the plugs are covered in black soot and are
    also oily. As part of it's diagnostics I was going to do a leakdown test...
      This is probably s silly question, but what's the easiest way to find TDC
    for a given piston on a 2.25L petrol?

    Thanks! In other news, still troubleshooting the stuttering problem on the
    wife's 88 - Just got my tuneup parts in from Rovers North - wires and plugs
    are already replaced, tossing in a new rotor arm and cap tonight, adjusting
    the timing (by ear), and re-tuning the carb before the next road test.