Re: [lro] See, it all figures...

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 18:29:03 EST

    >Am I going to explode if I do this? I figure that washing it should rid it
    >of a large percentage of vapour, and whatever is left would be "popped" with
    >a match before welding it. Welding a tank filled with water sounds like a
    >recipe for a brittle weld.

    There's a franchised process called Renu, which some radiator shops
    do. It involves baking the tank to get rid of the gas, cutting an
    access hole, applying the renu goop (some sort of epoxy, I think) on
    the inside, welding it back together and doing the outside. I got
    quoted about $100 to do the tank in my 109 SW last year, but I got
    it fixed with JB weld. I mention it because they guarantee the tank
    not leak, forever. If there's a shop near you, check them out. I
    know people that have had other car tanks (usually of the sort that
    you can't get a new tank) done with good results.