Re: [lro] Project Salisburly

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Sun Mar 09 2003 - 16:19:14 EST

    >A first installment in a series.
    >
    >- The ring gear is the easy part for me. I just need to find the right rear
    >end with the right gears, at the right price. I hope this actually does
    >happen as the price of new Spicer gears is eye opening, even at dealer cost.
    >
    >- Narrowing the housing is a problem. Dana 60's have both axle tubes pressed
    >in and welded to the center casting. Because the rover rear end is already
    >offset and the van rear end is only offset slightly, I can get away with
    >narrowing the short side only ( I hope). The van width is usually 65 to 67".
    >If I narrow one tube that gives me roughly 8 to 10" offset. More than
    >factory, but still bearable. I'm either going to drill out the welds and
    >pull the shaft out, cut it and press it back in, or cut the tubes down the
    >middle with a chop saw and chuck eveything up in a lathe before I start
    >welding (BIG lathe). I'll likely try to pull the tubes, if that doesn't work
    >I'll try the other method.

    The inner tube end has the oil seal in it, doesn't it? You'll have
    to machine a replacement if you whack that end off.

    >- Brakes and wheel stud pattern is another problem. Since the bolt pattern
    >from the 8 to 5 have the same bolt circle, one stud hole may be reused. I'll
    >have to weld up the other seven holes on both hubs and machine them down
    >smooth. Then, I'll have to build a jig (likely an old rover drum made to
    >center on a machined lip in the wheel hub) and start drilling out the 4
    >remaining holes.

    Is it really an issue to have an extra set of holes? I think you can
    have both the 5 on 6.5 and 8 on 6.5 with no overlap.

    >- Finally, the shortened (hopefully only one) axleshaft. Machine shops can
    >shorten an axleshaft easily, it's not cheap though. I hope to be able to do

    About $100 a pair. Not to bad if you don't have a mill or broach...