Re: [lro] Project Salisburly

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Sun Mar 09 2003 - 20:20:32 EST

    > The inner tube end has the oil seal in it, doesn't it? You'll have
    > to machine a replacement if you whack that end off.

    I don't believe so, the wheel bearings are lubed by gear oil. The axle gear
    oil is free to circulate from one hub, to the diff, to the other.

    > Is it really an issue to have an extra set of holes? I think you can
    > have both the 5 on 6.5 and 8 on 6.5 with no overlap.

    Not really an issue, but at least one hole overlaps. I figured for DOT
    inspections it would be "nicer" to have everything stock looking.

    > About $100 a pair. Not to bad if you don't have a mill or broach...

    For that price it's not worth it. The trouble of getting an indexing head,
    and a proper spline cutter, etc... Especially if it's only one shaft...

    J-L