[lro] Project Salisburly

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Sun Mar 09 2003 - 00:35:09 EST

    A first installment in a series.

    Firstly, a bit of background.

    Land-Rover, after determining that an increase in axle strength would be a
    good thing, decided to start equipping some models of Land-Rover with a
    clone of the Dana 60 axle, and called it the Salisbury axle for reasons that
    I am too tired to explain. The resulting axle is a piece that is very
    similar to the north american Dana 60 found in all kinds of vehicles,
    arguably the most widely used axle ever built.

    There exist some differences between the D60 casting and the Rover one.
    Firstly, the casting from rover is stronger. It has thicker webbing around
    the pinion and more material in some critical areas. The drain plug I
    believe is on the bottom in the diff casting, and on the NA 60 it's a
    question of removing the pan.

    The rover Dana 60 is not the strongest 60 axle ever built. These axles were
    available in multiple versions, from 1.24" shafts to a full 1.5" shaft in
    the Dana 60HD. Splines range from scary low counts (16?) to 30. All full
    floater rear Dana 60's were 8 bolt hubs and are usually equipped with
    massive drum brakes and and very wide. Most of these axles are centered,
    meaning not offset to the right in typical rover fashion.

    In comes the magic of the Dodge Tradesman/Ford Econoline. In order to clear
    the optional gargantuum fuel tank that was placed between the frame rails,
    running longitudinally, the rear diff on these babies was offset roughly 5"
    from mid seventies to early eighties, perhaps longer. After this Ford
    switched to a Ford rear axle, and Dodge supposedly (I haven't verified this
    yet) scrapped the offset idea.

    Also, the bolt pattern that is commonly used on these vehicles is an 8 on
    6.5. Rover uses a 5 on 6.5.

    In order to "roverize" a Dana diff, it must be modified. Firstly, the right
    gear ratio must be obtained (in my case, 3.54 which is easy to find, 4.7 is
    not available and a rover Sal. ring gear would have to be used) and the
    wheel width must be narrowed (to 62" hub face to hub face for a coiler, 58"
    for a series) and finally, the brakes and wheel stud pattern must be
    addressed. Let us deal with these issues in the sequence in which they are
    listed.

    - The ring gear is the easy part for me. I just need to find the right rear
    end with the right gears, at the right price. I hope this actually does
    happen as the price of new Spicer gears is eye opening, even at dealer cost.

    - Narrowing the housing is a problem. Dana 60's have both axle tubes pressed
    in and welded to the center casting. Because the rover rear end is already
    offset and the van rear end is only offset slightly, I can get away with
    narrowing the short side only ( I hope). The van width is usually 65 to 67".
    If I narrow one tube that gives me roughly 8 to 10" offset. More than
    factory, but still bearable. I'm either going to drill out the welds and
    pull the shaft out, cut it and press it back in, or cut the tubes down the
    middle with a chop saw and chuck eveything up in a lathe before I start
    welding (BIG lathe). I'll likely try to pull the tubes, if that doesn't work
    I'll try the other method.

    - Brakes and wheel stud pattern is another problem. Since the bolt pattern
    from the 8 to 5 have the same bolt circle, one stud hole may be reused. I'll
    have to weld up the other seven holes on both hubs and machine them down
    smooth. Then, I'll have to build a jig (likely an old rover drum made to
    center on a machined lip in the wheel hub) and start drilling out the 4
    remaining holes. That allows rover wheels to bolt on. The brakes I will deal
    with when I can measure up the hubs, either adapter plates or simply
    redrilling the hubs for the rotor, and a spacer ring.

    - Finally, the shortened (hopefully only one) axleshaft. Machine shops can
    shorten an axleshaft easily, it's not cheap though. I hope to be able to do
    it myself. Depending on what I find as a junkyard donor, I might be stuck
    with weak axles that are not 30 spline (the 1.5" 30 spline shafts are rare).
    If this is the case, I'll upgrade to custom alloy shafts in the future, when
    going to a locker in the rear.

    The search for a donor axle continues (in front wheel drive)

    J-L