[lro] TD5, etc. (no Series content)

From: C. Marin Faure (faurecm@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 10:08:25 EST

    Not about Series vehicles, but some of you might be interested.... While in
    the UK the last couple of weeks, we had the use of a Series II Commercial
    Discovery with the TD5 engine. For those of you who don't know, a
    Commercial Discovery is "made" by the Special Vehicles division at Land
    Rover. The interior consists of the driver's compartment and a
    flat-floored, empty shell behind it with a cargo bulkhead running from
    floor to roof behind the front seats. They used to use the two-door
    Discovery for this, with body-colored metal panels in place of the side
    windows. However, Land Rover no longer makes the two-door body for the
    Discovery, so the Commercial version today has all four doors, but the side
    windows aft of the front doors are solid panels that look like smoked glass
    (but you can't see through them). The rear door windows do not open. The
    one we had was the very first Series II Commercial Discovery off the line.

    While the vehicle was fine and suited our purposes perfectly on the narrow,
    walled roads in the Yorkshire Dales, I was not overly impressed with the
    TD5 engine. It certainly moved the vehicle along smartly on the motorways,
    and cruising at 70-plus did not seem to tax the engine as much as it did
    the older Tdi-powered Land Rovers I've driven. But the TD5 has a most
    annoying habit of jerking and hunting at slower speeds when you let off on
    the throttle. When driving the winding, hilly roads in the Dales, often
    in third gear, the engine would stumble and hunt when the throttle was
    "neutralized," in other words when you weren't making the engine work but
    you weren't decelerating either.

    This trait was particularly bad when the engine was cold, but even after
    being thoroughly warmed up it would still hunt and buck sometimes during
    the transition between making power and deceleration. I perhaps
    incorrectly recall someone on this list saying that the TD5 has an
    electronic throttle linkage, so perhaps that's the problem. Maybe the
    sensors get confused in the transition between acceleration and
    deceleration. Or maybe it was just our engine, although the vehicle was
    only a year old. But if this is a characteristic of the TD5, I can see why
    the engine hasn't generated particularly positive reputation.

    While I have known about the BBC program "Top Gear" for a long time, I've
    never actually watched it until this trip. From an American's point of
    view, it was refreshing to see a motor review program that said a vehicle
    was total rubbish when it was, rather than bend over backwards to find
    something nice to say about it even though the vehicle in fact is total
    crap. I guess since the BBC does not depend on commercial sponsors to pay
    the bills, it's much easier for them to put on a show that expresses
    unpopular opinions. But I've always found it annoying that the American
    motoring press, even back when I first started reading Road & Track in the
    1960s, NEVER says a manufacturers' vehicle is junk, even when everyone
    knows it is. They always tiptoe around the bad stuff and make a big deal
    out of the good stuff, even if the only good thing about the car is the
    design of the door handle. God forbid you tick off the sponsor, who is
    likely to be the manufacturer of the car you're reviewing.

    It's always fun to take a trip to Europe or the UK because there are so
    many vehicles you just never see in the US. The trend these days seems to
    be toward really odd designs, some of them nice, some of them really
    hideous. There is a Fiat mini-van/SUV/station wagon thing, for instance,
    that to my mind is absolutely attrocious from every single angle.

    I also caught the tail end of another motoring program in the UK which was
    a sort of "shoot off" between the new Range Rover, the Toyota Land Cruiser,
    and the BMW X-5. The X-5 had the best car-like handling, I believe it was
    very close between the Range Rover and Land Cruiser for off-road
    capabilities, but the Range Rover won overall. The Land Cruiser was summed
    up as an out-dated, overly-heavy design.

    I did not have a chance to drive a new Range Rover on this trip, but the
    friend we visited the last couple of days has one in his fleet and has been
    driving it recently. His is the diesel version, but he said it drives like
    no other Range Rover before it. The monocoque-type construction gives it
    superb handling characteristics, apparently. However, he has not had any
    experience with it under off-road conditions, so he couldn't say how the
    vehicle stacks up against the older ones in that respect. His opinion is
    that the original "classic" chassis is probably better suited for off-road
    work than either the "new model" Range Rover (1995-2001) or the current
    model. I've never cared for the looks of the "new model" Range Rover, as
    to me it looks like a Ford Explorer, but I must admit I really like the
    styling of the "brand new" version. Don't like the price, though,
    although they are actually less expensive in the US than in the UK due to
    taxes and other factors.

    Finally, if the Defender and Discovery have anything like the longevity of
    the Series Land Rovers, there will never be a shortage of them for the next
    100 years. They are literally everywhere, particularly the Discovery.
    Oddly enough, I did not see as many Freelanders as I expected to, even
    though this vehicle has been touted as the most popular SUV in Europe. But
    in the Dales and the greater Manchester area, Discoveries in particular are
    virtually everywhere. Of all the newer Land Rover vehicles I saw on the
    trip, the one I would most like to have was the most popular version in the
    Dales- a D90 pickup with these really nice aluminum canopies over the bed
    with external bracing ribs on the canopy. Very handy looking vehicle,
    that. The same style canopy is used on D110 pickups, too.

    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88
      1991 Range Rover Vogue SE