[lro] Fuel Switch

From: Bradley_Harris@aigag.com
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 09:52:02 EST

    Since I am converting my 109 petrol to diesel I need to work out the fuel
    return lines to the tanks. I have the twin military front tanks with the
    selector switch on the front of the seat box. I can think of a few
    different options:

    1) Route the fuel return line to one tank. The other tank would be an
    auxiliary tank with an electric fuel pump mounted between the two to
    transfer fuel from the auxiliary tank to the main tank. The current switch
    would not be switching fuel, it would just allow me to switch which sender
    is being used to check the fuel level in both tanks.

    2) Mount a second military fuel switch for the return line. I would need to
    remember to move both of them when switching from tank to tank. I don't
    like this idea.

    3) Purchase a fuel switch that would switch both the fuel feed line and the
    return line and the sender being used for he gauge. Anybody know of a
    company that makes one of those? I want a mechanical switch, not electric.
    This would be the cleanest if I could find the proper fuel selector switch.

    4) Mount a 109 rear diesel tank and use that as my main tank. The front
    tanks would be twin auxiliary tanks. I would have an electric fuel pump
    that could transfer fuel from either of the front two tanks to the rear
    tank using the current fuel selector switch. I don't have a hole in the
    rear crossmember for a PTO since it is the military frame but I need to see
    if frame modifications would be necessary to mount the tank. I like the
    idea of extra fuel capacity, but I don't like the extra cost of the rear
    fuel tank and the fittings for an external filler cap.

    I don't want to get rid of any of the current fuel tanks. Any other ideas
    or tips?

    Thanks,

    Brad H.