Re: [lro] Howling noise when driving

From: Eyekelly@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 18:44:28 EST

    In a message dated 11/27/2002 10:02:49 AM Pacific Standard Time,
    toni@macpower.fi writes:

    > I think you got something there...indeed oil started to pour out when I
    > opened
    > the inspection hole in the transfer case. I was wondering about that,
    > couldn't
    > figure out how somebody managed to get that much oil into it ;)
    >
    > I will add oil to the gearbox and hope that it lasts untill next summer
    > when
    > it would be much nicer to rebuild or swap it.

    This is my plan too as my Land Rover is my daily driver and changing the seal
    is something that I would like to delay until I have other things in the
    vicinity to attend to.

    > How fast does this migration happen, ie. how often do I need to add oil to
    > the
    > gearbox?

    It varies, one gearbox I had would take about a week, the one I have now the
    oil goes straight throuigh without stopping for lunch. However, unless you
    have other oil leaks, the levels should stabilise. The transfer box is at a
    slightly lower level than the gearbox, hence the migration with the manual's
    recommended levels.

    > BTW, there was also lots of oil pouring out of the front diff inspection
    > hole
    > when it was open, what does this tell you?

    You got me on this one. Other than the PO filling the front diff whilst the
    truck was on a steep uphill slope. I don't know. Check to make sure that you
    actually have oil in there and not a mixture of oil and water that may have
    made its way in via a bad seal. Check also the swivel hubs as any oil/water
    mixture could make its way there via the front axle casing.

    Good luck!

    Best wishes

    Ian Kelly
    1970 Series IIA