[lro] Howling noise when driving

From: Toni (toni@macpower.fi)
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 13:01:15 EST

    >The reason you can't find the gearbox oil level with your finger may be
    >because the oil has migrated to the transfer case - the seal between the two
    seems
    >to be one that routinely wears. If some oil poured out of the inspection hole
    in the
    > transfer case when you checked the level, this may be the reason for low
    gearbox
    >oil level. Refill the gearbox and add some extra to the transfer case so it
    won't be so
    >greedy.
    >Cheers,
    >Ian Kelly

    Ian,

    I think you got something there...indeed oil started to pour out when I opened
    the inspection hole in the transfer case. I was wondering about that, couldn't
    figure out how somebody managed to get that much oil into it ;)

    I will add oil to the gearbox and hope that it lasts untill next summer when
    it would be much nicer to rebuild or swap it.

    How fast does this migration happen, ie. how often do I need to add oil to the
    gearbox?

    BTW, there was also lots of oil pouring out of the front diff inspection hole
    when it was open, what does this tell you?

    Regards,

    Toni