[lro] Old Enough to Smoke

From: Paul Quin (pquin@shaw.ca)
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 19:23:58 EST

    My Solex tends to drain itself after a couple of days too. Time to check
    that pump linkage. I seem to get quite a bit of seepage from around the to
    cover too. Could this be an imporperly set float?

    My SII has always smoked quite a bit under heavy throttle. Blackish smoke
    just as I get to 2500 - 3000 rpm in 3rd before the upshift to fourth. Going
    up hills at highway speeds will produce quite a bit of smoke too. It is
    noticable at night in the headlight beam of following cars. I imagine that
    this could be caused by a too rich mixture? Is this adustable in any way?
    Could there be other causes? The choke (or cold start circuit in a Solex)
    is completely off once warmed up.

    I posted a question a couple of weeks ago about the loss of power that I had
    experienced over the last couple of months. A new Lucas distributor cap
    from Wise Owl solved the problem nicely. I like cheap fixes. Thanks for
    everyones input! :-)

    Paul Quin
    1961 SII 88
    Victoria, BC