Re: [lro] Howling noise when driving

From: Eyekelly@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 19:03:03 EST

    Tom,

    I too am afraid of shipfitter's disease as my Land Rover is my daily driver
    and something as drastic as any gearbox/transmission work I'd like to leave
    until I have other things to do in the same area, so I elected to top up the
    level of the transfer case to keep more of the oil in the gearbox, but
    keeping it below the level of the output seals. The gearbox is physically
    higher than the transmission box, but not by much.

    The box I'm using now is a reconditioned ex-military Series III and came with
    a vent on the inspection plate on the gearbox. There appears to be little or
    no sign of a seal between gearbox and transmission housing as the oil pours
    straight between the two as you fill the gearbox. However, using this
    arrangement, I've done about 7,000 miles with no ill effects and no oil leaks
    either. All other gearbox/transmission seals are in good order and noise
    level is normal.

    I'm sure wiser minds will have the definitive answer (as in, replace that
    seal right now yer lazy sod), but its working for me. I would be curious if
    anyone has any knowledge as to Her Majesty's Armed Forces treatment of
    gearbox/transmission overhauls and why they fitted the vent to the gearbox.

    Regards,

    Ian Kelly
    1970 Series IIA
    Los Angeles