Re: [lro] weatherstripping alternatives

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 02:10:57 EST

    >hi all,
    >
    >brian's '67 88 checking in from balmy connecticut...
    >
    >With the winter approaching I need to put new
    >weatherstripping in (I had to remove the old stuff
    >during the restoration over the summer). Is there any
    >alternative stuff I can use? I took a look at the
    >weatherstripping in rover's north and it costs waaaay
    >too much than I figure it should.
    >
    >What have some of you used as alternatives? I'd be
    >very curious to know.

    I get mine from the junkyard. Plenty of wrecked late model cars with
    good door seals. Find a friendly pull-it-yourself place, wander
    around for a bit, find some that looks like it will work, rip it off.
    Trunk lids, and van/SUV rear hatches are a good source for long
    pieces. Stick it on with weather stripping adhesive. I do use
    genuine (or at least pattern) stuff for the roof to windshield joint,
    and roof top to roof sides joint. For the tub to roof side joint,
    the foam stuff sold for pickup camper tops works well.

    Another wonderful thing junkyards are a cheap source for are relays.
    A european car will give up six or eight nice (often Bosch or Hella)
    relays for a few seconds work, and a couple bucks.

    David