Re: [lro] Suspension Twists and Turns

From: Nigel Aldred (gon2farsuspensiondesign@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 06:00:47 EST

    Hello Peter
    Glad to hear that the webstite is interesting for people, there should be a
    few updates in the next week or two

    <Been looking at your website for a while. Trying to
    <decide whether it would be better to fit your
    <suspension modifications or buy front and rear
    <lockers.

    Or even lockers and suspension what would that do? Drew wrights 88 as
    featured on the site has a Detroit locker in the rear and I did enjoy
    driving it through my testing set of cross axles even if it was just for the
    fun of waving wheels in the air all the time. Having tried both approaches I
    prefer to have all 4 wheels on the ground when at all possible. Also 4
    wheels on the ground is also easier on the drive train.

    <In your pictures of the front suspension, the front
    <frame shackle mount has been modified to lower it.
    <You don't mention this modification in your list of
    <parts involved in your suspension package. Was it a
    <one time modification that you've decided is not
    <necessary??

    The intention is not to include this mod with the kit mainly because the
    results without this are fairly dramatic (some 16 or 17 of travel from the
    front axle alone) a production version of this mod will be developed and
    depending on how well that works and how much it costs it will either be
    sold as part of the kit or as an additional option. The aim is to try and
    keep the initial kit cost within reason for people.

    <For now, I'm probably restricted to front suspension
    <mod. only. Looks the most cost effective. You don't
    <mention what you've got going for the rear suspension
    <except Revolver shackles, however.

    Development time is pretty restricted for me due to working away from home
    as I do. The Revolver set up kind of came into the middle of the development
    process and diverted my time for a while and so at the moment the only set
    up available for the rear is the Revolver kit. However a GON2FAR style kit,
    lockable for the road, will be developed as time allows. I was a bit nieve
    when I started all this and have been a bit caught out by just how many
    issues there are to resolve when it comes to developing this kind of kit.
    Drews 88 is fitted with a combination of both kits.

    <I've already got parabolics on my trucks so wouldn't
    <need them. What's a package going to cost, including
    <shipping, for the front spring mount, extended drive
    <shaft, shock mounts, extended shackles and anything
    <else that might be needed. Believe the shocks you are
    <using are US manufactured. Probably would be cheaper
    <for me to buy the shocks, themselves, locally than
    <from across the pond.

    Im not to sure what the list etiquette is on discussing prices but the price
    for the GON2FAR front end kit is on the website. As I move to full
    production this price may change a bit (hopefully downwards) but it should
    end up pretty close I recon. Not having the shocks would knock 70.00 gbp of
    the price. I would sort out a shipping cost for you when you ordered.

    <Is the wheel change necessary?? I'm running the later
    <16" Dunlop wheels with the wider offset and 235/85/16
    <tires on my 109. Is that still too little offset??
    <One of my 88's will be running 33/9.50/15's on stock
    <15" wheels. Believe those wheels have greater offset,
    <also, than the 272309 older style wheels. What about
    <the 'Wolf' wheels??

    It is necessary to use some way of increasing the offset (de-creasing the
    back spacing) for comparison with other wheel types I use a 1 1/4  spacer
    behind a standard later LWB rim that should give you a comparison with the
    rims you already have. The method of offset is not included in the kit
    because of the number of options available.

    Hope this is helpful info for you

    Nigel