Re: [lro] weatherstripping alternatives

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 10:09:59 EST

    > I get mine from the junkyard. Plenty of wrecked late model cars with
    > good door seals. Find a friendly pull-it-yourself place, wander
    > around for a bit, find some that looks like it will work, rip it off.
    > Trunk lids, and van/SUV rear hatches are a good source for long
    > pieces. Stick it on with weather stripping adhesive. I do use
    > genuine (or at least pattern) stuff for the roof to windshield joint,
    > and roof top to roof sides joint. For the tub to roof side joint,
    > the foam stuff sold for pickup camper tops works well.

    I get the seals off a 1980s' colt 100 4 door. They are easy to pull off and
    they cost almost nothing. They don't need to be glued on as they are very
    similar to the newer U channel style defender seals. They slip over the
    little "edge" just fine so you don't have to hack anything. For the top to
    tub joint I use foam pipe insulation from a hardware store. I owe this
    discovery to Bruce Fowler. Valdez is surprisingly draft free this year, for
    a total investiture of less than 20$.

    J-L