Re: [lro] preparation for a trip

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 13:30:40 EST

    > I'm in the process of putting a new kit together for general
    > use. This one will live in Smudger's bed (probably in a nice
    > NATO ammo box with rubber feet to keep it from sliding) and
    > I expect it'll contain:

    I think you are missing a very important category: Fixings. Nothing
    like being in the middle of nowhere and in desperate need of a certain
    bolt or nut. A couple years back I walked into my local Ace hardware,
    told them I planned to buy a large quantity of fixings & stuff and
    asked for a one day discount on everything I bought. They gave me a
    10% discount & I went to work. I got a briefcase sized fold up
    compartmentalized container and filled it with four each of most grade
    8 nuts, flat & lock washers and bolts in each length they carried
    between 1/8th & 9/16ths, plus a spare set of shackle bolts and a few
    specific larger dia bolts that I know The Green Rover uses.

    Plus I got an assortment of small machine & sheet metal screws, crimp
    on electrical connectors, tie wraps, roll of electrical tape, some
    fender washers, assorted cotter keys and assorted tubes of goos.

    To that I added some new shock bushings, a brake flex hose, a pair of
    engine mounts, tyre filler nipple, and a small assortment of British
    spec fixings.

    All that stuff lives in the Green Rover along with set of tune up
    parts, a tool set, grease gun (for greasing fittings after a water
    crossing, 12V work lamp, shop rags, spare belts, oil filter and 8 qts
    of oil. I carry brake fluid, starting fluid, liquid wrench, lengths of
    hookup wire and power steering fluid under the driver's seat. I also
    carry a new 5X7 plastic tarp. It can come in real handy if you need to
    go under a vehicle in the mud or erect a quick shelter over the engine
    bay. I added special spring pack fixing bolts soon after having to
    rebuild a spring pack in the field. Forgot to mention the roll of
    bailing wire and a new replacement wheel cylinder bleeding nipple.

    When I go on trips the roof rack gets a can of 90 wt, an oil suction
    gun, container of axle grease and a parts cleaning kit with solvent, an
    empty can for packing out used solvent, a cleaning tray and brushes.
    And I carry three jacks and a jack stand on the trail. There is a
    20X20 inch sheet of thick plywood for placing under the jack stands or
    jacks.

    I like to think that if I'm in a place where UPS can find me I can
    rebuild the Rover. Though so far my biggest field repair was replacing
    a front axle because I wanted to keep four wheeling for another 2
    weeks. I've limped home with much worse and knock on birmabright so far
    have never been stranded by The Green Rover in almost 25 years of
    traveling.

    TeriAnn Wakeman If you send me direct mail, please
    Santa Cruz, California start the subject line with TW -
    twakeman@cruzers.com I will be sure to read the message

    http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman

    "How can life grant us the boon of living..unless we dare"
    Amelia Earhart 1898-1937