Re: [lro] preparation for a trip

From: Richard Joltes (djoltes@attglobal.net)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 12:09:29 EST

    AJR wrote:

    >When I bought my first Rover and drove it home (knowing
    >little about them, nothing about Diesels and being rusty in
    >my wrenching skills) I had a chase car with a toolkit and
    >loads of consumables aboard. My chase car had a cellphone
    >and I'd carefully planned for all the what-ifs, from blown
    >tyres to blown engines.

    I was the guy in that chase car and remember the process well,
    though we had a set of 2 meter radios rather than cell phones
    if you'll recall. Given the condition of Churchill's diesel
    at that point and the fact that the PO had been running #2
    fuel oil in it, I stayed about 1/2 mile back to avoid the
    smoke-screen the old boy generated in his wake (not to mention
    the car...)

    We had at least the following:

    oil, 90-wt, brake fluid, pre-mixed coolant
    tyre repair kit
    a few spare parts
    many tools
    booster cables
    AAA card

    I'm in the process of putting a new kit together for general
    use. This one will live in Smudger's bed (probably in a nice
    NATO ammo box with rubber feet to keep it from sliding) and
    I expect it'll contain:

    general fluids (as above)
    tool kit
    booster cables
    tune-up bits (cap, rotor, points, condensers, plugs, etc.)
    cork sheet for emergency gaskets
    length of fuel line, set of radiator hoses, hose clamps
    fan belt set
    wire, sta-kon connector kit, electrical tape, various lamps
    tube-patch kit
    radiator seal
    torch, railroad flares, and snap-lights
    and the ubiquitous duct tape and bailing wire

    dj
    1974 SIII Airportable, 'Smudger'