[lro] Was stranded in ok - now preparation for a trip:

From: Alan J. Richer (mrchurchill109@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 09:35:03 EST

    The comments addressed in this series of messages about
    these stranded folk are just plain sad - and I really feel
    for them.

    Been stranded - was not amusing.

    Question is - do any of the occupants of this poor FFR have
    any mechanical skills at all, and were tools and a small
    parts kit packed along for just-in-case?

    Or Glub forbid does anyone have a AAA card and a cellphone?

    No offense intended here - but I wouldn't drive a 25-to-50
    year old Rolls Royce that far without a toolbox in the
    trunk.

    When I bought my first Rover and drove it home (knowing
    little about them, nothing about Diesels and being rusty in
    my wrenching skills) I had a chase car with a toolkit and
    loads of consumables aboard. My chase car had a cellphone
    and I'd carefully planned for all the what-ifs, from blown
    tyres to blown engines.

    There's been a lot of discussion on the list here over the
    years about preparation for trips and how to deal with the
    ineviable issues. Unless the vehicle in querstion was a
    complete rebuild that had had a shakedown period I don't
    think I'd have gone more than an hour or two without a
    toolkit and spares aboard.

    Heck, I know my Rovers better than my tongue knows the roof
    of my mouth and I still don't take long trips w/o tools and
    spares aboard (and yes, that includes the Range Rover....).

    it's not that my cars are unreliable - Glub and you all
    know how anal-retentive I am about maintenance. Nor do I
    suspect the reliability of my cars over anyone else's - but
    old things break sometimes no matter how well maintained.

    Witness when I bought my 58 Rover on the other side of the
    pond. I was buing a daily driver truck that had seen
    regular maintenance since it was revived from a barn - but
    I still packed a small toolkit in my luggage and bought
    spares over there to take about with me.

    Just as well I did - my starter packed up in a motorway
    rest stop halfway from Loughborough to Southampton. It
    wasn't wiring or the button - the starter itself was shot.
    I ended up changing the offending item in my hotel's
    parking lot the next morning before putting the truck into
    the care of the shippers.

    When I picked it up in Baltimore I did the same - and
    arranged for a rest stop halfway home for me and the truck.
    At the stop it got a full lube check and a tune up, as it
    had been running rough. Turned out the plug wires were the
    originals...not bad for 40-odd years coated in oil.

    It just bemuses me why anyone would consider making a
    multi-thousand-mile trip like that with no planning for
    difficulty or expectation that there would be sone. On that
    long a trip I'd think about a faily maintenance regimen
    just to ensure the health of all the participants.

    I know I'm not the only one thinking this way - to judge
    from the resounding silence when the initial call for help
    went out.....

              ajr

    =====
    The journey is the destination. Anything else is illusion.

    Please ignore the following advertising.....
    http://launch.yahoo.com/u2