Re: LRO: New vs. old reliability (was long and kinda....)

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 14:11:39 EDT

    There are people out there who collect and restore Nash Metropolitans.
    Since there are many people that would lift a finger to uglify our streets
    by keeping the dysfunctional Metropolitan running, there certainly will be
    those who will lovingly restore a Geo Metro in 40 years.

    I can't say that todays cars have any more obsolesence planned in. As long
    as the parts are available and someone has the interest and wherewithal to
    keep them running, these new cars will be kept running. One thing that is
    different is that a lot of the parts are not easily rebuildable. If the
    parts are NLA, the vehicles may indeed turn itno throw aways for the lack of
    a 15 cent electronic part. Newer autos have much higher tolerances and seem
    to run farther before things go wrong, however. Of course when things do go
    wrong its time to mortgage the house. The big difference is that us
    backyard mechanics are going to be SOL when it comes to diagnosing and
    repairing the electronics unless the diagnostic equipment gets cheaper and
    our knowledge of the systems gets way better. The first is probably a given
    the second is probably beyond expectation.

    As far as the structure of the cars. Think they are much better than the
    good old days. The use of galvanized steel, plastics, aluminum, and better
    design seem to have severely stunted the rustermite. They are also much
    stiffer and structurally sound. New cars handle so much better than the
    good old cars. My SAAB turbo would leave a 68 Camaro in the dust and do it
    without white knuckles. Of course, I could probably puzzle out any thing
    that went wrong with the Camaro, but don't have a clue what to do when the
    check engine light comes on in the SAAB.

    Since the new cars are so much better, why did I just go out and buy an '83
    300D Mercedes?? Simple, I can fix it all by my lonesome if I feel like it.
    Its a dog simple vehicle with an engine you can actually find when you lift
    the hood.

    Aloha
    Peter O.