Re: LRO: New vs. old reliability (was long and kinda....)

From: Keith Tanner (keith@miata.net)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 14:53:32 EDT

    New cars aren't necessarily impossible to work on. Sure, they take
    different skills. But I've been modifying and maintaing several 1990 Miatas
    for years. Now, they're between 11 and 12 years old. Electrical problems
    can be identified and fixed with a good wiring diagram. There are many test
    procedures in the manuals that can be done with normal electical tools to
    identify what's wrong with the part and what can be done. I've never had to
    replace an electronic doodad although I have repaired a couple. I've also
    learned how the engine computer works by installing a programmable one and
    playing with it. There's no mystery.

    The Rover, on the other hand, takes a totally different set of skills.
    Right now, I'm far more competent when the Miata starts to misbehave (once
    every couple of years). The Rover still mystifies me because it uses very
    different technology like carbs and distributors. I'm learning - but I
    wouldn't say that the Miata (ie, a modern car) is any less maintable just
    because it uses different systems. All that electrickery means that the car
    runs cleaner, gets better mileage, is more reliable, develops more power
    and starts easier than a stone-age Rover.

    What will the situation be in 23 years when the Miata is as old as my Rover
    is now? I can't say. The plastics on the interior will be harder to repair,
    but the SIII already has this problem. Some of the computer bits might be
    harder to get but it will also be possible to make our own, the same way we
    can machine a part that's NLA for a Rover. The car will probably still run
    as well as it does now, with suitably long maintenance intervals.

    Keith
    Keith's page de home:
        http://keith.miata.net