Re: LRO: New vs. old reliability (was long and kinda....)

From: Ivan Van Laningham (ivanlan@pauahtun.org)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 14:44:25 EDT

    Hi All--

    Peter Ogilvie wrote:

    > Since the new cars are so much better, why did I just go out and buy an '83
    > 300D Mercedes?? Simple, I can fix it all by my lonesome if I feel like it.
    > Its a dog simple vehicle with an engine you can actually find when you lift
    > the hood.

    And ...
    > >From: "Rich & Lori Williams" <paddlers@nwlink.com>
    > >And consider this, by the mere design of cars today they are designed to be
    > >"disposable". And who the heck is going to restore a 1999
    > >Subaru Outback?

    I bought a 2000 Subaru Outback for a number of reasons; I've owned it
    over a year and am still delighted. But I couldn't fix anything on it,
    even though I spent quite a few years maintaining pre-1973 vehicles,
    including head gaskets, exhaust systems and valve jobs. A few days
    after I bought it, I gave a friend, whose auto mechanical experience is
    roughly equivalent to mine, a ride. He asked to see the engine.
    "Sure," I said, and opened the hood.

    We stared at it blankly. After three minutes, Frank pointed to
    something and said, "That's the radiator."

    I searched. "And there's the dipstick. Oh, and the battery."

    "Cheat."

    "OK, there's the refill tank for the windshield washer fluid."

    "Too easy."

    "You think that's the distributor?"

    "Whatever you say." He thought. "But didn't they get rid of
    distributors a few years ago?"

    "Beats me," I said. I closed the hood.

    And that's the last time I had it open for anything but filling the
    windshield washer fluid reservoir.

    <and-i-keeps-my-dogs-out-of-there>-ly y'rs,
    Ivan;-)
    Ivan Van Laningham
    Symantec
    http://www.pauahtun.org