Re: LRO: New vs. old reliability (was long and kinda....)

From: Larry Smith (lodelane@home.com)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 16:18:35 EDT

    Pete,

    You stated: There are people out there who collect and restore Nash
    Metropolitans.
    > Since there are many people that would lift a finger to uglify our streets
    > by keeping the dysfunctional Metropolitan running, there certainly will be
    > those who will lovingly restore a Geo Metro in 40 years.

    I resemble that remark!! Have a yellow and white 1960 convertible, as well
    as two sedans that will be resto'd one day.
    Same basic technology as the Land Rover - Austin 1500 engine with a manual
    gearbox and Lucas electrics. Only the Americans had to dumb down the Austin
    four speed gear box by blanking off one gear so the "three on the tree"
    popular in the US would work vice a four on the floor. One of the sedans I
    have is being converted to use a Datsun B-210 engine and automatic
    transmission.

    Larry Smith
    Chester, VA