Re: LRO: Guinness

From: M. Tompkins (mmglass@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Jun 09 2001 - 21:13:41 EDT

    I lived in Britain for more than a few years as a
    serviceman serving in the US Forces. I had a
    mate that I guess work for a beer distributor.
    One of his tasks was to test the way Guinness
    was served, so I learned a lot about one of
    my favorite beers. Guinness should be chilled
    no matter where you get it. It should not be
    served at a temperature of more than 44°F
    (6.7°C). Most setups chill the barrel to
    37°F (2.8°C) to ensure it will be served at
    the correct temperature. Pressure should be
    around 35psi and a combination of Nitrogen
    and Carbon Dioxide must be used. I believe
    the optimum mix is 77% and 23% respectively.
    Oh and Nitrogen is used because it creates
    smaller bubbles than carbon dioxide, hence the
    distinguishable head on a pint of Guinness.
    While it may be hard to measure the pressure,
    they time how long it takes to fill a proper
    Imperial pint (20oz.). I seem to remember
    40-45 seconds is correct, but may be wrong.
    The result of proper temperature, gas mixture,
    and pressure is a creamy head that is present
    until the pint is completely drank.

    How many have been served a pint with
    a shamrock design drawn into the head? A
    perfect pint of Guinness will hold the design
    until the pint is finished.

    Those draught Guinness cans work fairly
    well because they have a small bubble
    filled with Nitrogen in the can. When the can is
    opened the Nitrogen rushes out of the ball and
    into the stout creating the creamy head.

    Cheers,
    Mike
    '66 Hybrid Coiler 109" SW
    http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/6623/