LRO: Guinness

From: Lori Sickley (rovers@nep.net)
Date: Sat Jun 09 2001 - 19:09:46 EDT

    Never having eaten Steak & Kidney Pie with Guinness (google found a recipe
    here http://www.e-celtic.com/steakkidpiew.html ) I can't say if it is the
    real thing or not.....but as long as you are contemplating the use of
    perfectly good beer in recipes, beer butt chicken is about the best use of
    canned beer for cooking that I am aware of and you can eat the chicken at
    any temperature you like : )

    Just saw this method the other morning on a NY news program, appears to be
    a take on an upright chicken roaster. They didn't post the recipe so I had
    to prepare it from memory. I'm probably the last person to know about this
    but had to give it a go. It's really worth it : )

    They used a grill with the hot coals moved to the perimeter and cooked it
    for about two to three hours, or until done. The grill lid needs to be able
    to clear the top of the chicken when the can is placed on the grill too.

    I did mine in the oven after lowering the rack, sitting on a pan for an
    hour and a half at 350 degrees.

    Beer Butt Chicken or
    Guinness Beer Butt Chicken if you are so inclined : )

    Get a can of beer. Drink half the can.
    Take a whole chicken 3 1/2 lbs or so remove giblets and rinse it well .
    Coat the chicken liberally with coarse salt and Mrs. Dash Tomato Basil
    Garlic Seasoning.
    Place the half full or half empty : ) beer can onto a baking pan and pop
    the chicken's cavity on top of it so it's standing upright. Add a couple
    tablespoons of butter at the neck opening.

    Cook until done. Approx 1 1/2 hours by oven or longer on the grill.

    Sorry, LR content.........prepare as above but place chicken near engine
    and drive up to Silver Lake, Ontario for the OVLR Birthday Party : )

    Have lunch already prepared when you arrive : )

    Lori in PA
    The kids showed up in LROI April issue club of the month cover : )
    Anyone have an original they would part with? Only have the scan.....
    http://www.simplerthyme.com/store/LROI_0401_300x217.JPEG
    http://www.simplerthyme.com/store/LR.html