LRO: RE: Parts availability vs. bulletproofing

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 13:28:19 EDT

    From: "RON WARD" <ronward@synovustrust.com>
    Subject: RE: LRO: RE: Parts availability vs. bulletproofing

    >If I subscribed to the same philosophy as Marin I would
    classify my '65 IIa as a "hybrid" simply because I have added
    rear work lights, tow bar attachment fixings on the front bumper
    and I changed the oil in it this weekend. But for my purposes,
    I call it a Land-Rover, not a hybrid.

    Land Rovers were designed for work, which by definition means
    a lot of things would be done to them to suit the job at hand,
    be it adding lights, tow bars, skid plates, power takeoffs,
    etc. That sort of thing does not make it "not a Land Rover."
    But replacing the engine and/or driveline or other major
    chassis components with non-Rover items alters the entire
    character of the vehicle. As such, it is no longer a Land Rover
    but is simply a custom vehicle based on a Land Rover.
    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88
      1991 Range Rover Vogue SE