LRO: RE: What's a Land Rover (was Parts availability vs. bulletproofing)

From: M. Tompkins (mmglass@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 13:32:51 EDT

    Ok, I consider my hybrid still a Land Rover. Some will argue.
    What was a Series IIa, now looks like a Series III from first
    appearances. Then you realize the track is wider than a
    Series III, and looking underneath you find early Defender
    axles and coil springs. When you lift the hood/bonnet you
    find the early Defender 2.5L petrol engine, but when you
    climb in the right front side, into the driver's seat, you find a
    Series II bulkhead with standard gauges. If you happen
    to take it for a ride, if you don't double clutch to get from
    1st to 2nd you'll more than likely hear the gears complain.
    Apart from different seats and the odd bit here or there,
    I believe my hybrid is totally a Land Rover, just not very
    original.

    Mike
    '66 Hybrid Coiler 109" SW
    http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/6623/