[lro] Carb trouble

From: Matthew Kohr (matthewkohr@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 03:11:27 EST

    I'm having some trouble with my rochester carb. in a
    1962 SWB. After sitting for a few months, I drained
    the gas, changed the fuel filters (hi-flow versions),
    and cleaned the carb out with carb cleaner. The
    engine usually ran wonderfully with little
    maintainence, but this time it's being very difficult.
     It will idle decently, and rev decently, but when I'm
    driving it, it gets very lean. The only way to get
    any good power out of the engine is to pull out the
    choke. When I let it go back to idle, it dies if I
    don't push the choke back in. Also, it gets leaner as
    I drive it. It may start out running alright and
    pulling in first and second gear, but after I take it
    up to third and fourth for some time, it'll jerk and
    sputter in first or second. Also when I go up the
    hill in our driveway (somewhat steep) the truck will
    sputter and jerk until I pull out the choke. I
    rebuilt the carb a few years ago, and don't remember
    how the float was set. The rochester came on the
    truck when I bought it.
        I think a rebuild of the carb is needed. I have a
    new fuel pump and newish gas tank. I have adjusted
    the timing, valves, and mixture.

        Also I was wondering what speeds equate to max
    RPM's in first gear, second, etc.?

    Any opinons or advice would be very appreciated.

    Thank-you,

    Matt Kohr