Re: [lro] Carb trouble

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 09:33:46 EST

    > I'm having some trouble with my rochester carb. in a
    > 1962 SWB.

    I know this may will really silly but check your ignition system over
    carefully. A low output coil, slipped points, bad centre spark plug
    wire & other ignition parts often mimic fuel system problems when they
    are weak. I can't could the times I focused in on troubleshooting a
    persistent problem in one system when it ended up being the other that
    was creating the symptoms. What you are decribig can be caused by a
    weak spark.

    Also check the vacumme advance line and the distributor diaphram. You
    symptoms might be caused by an air opening.

    > Also, it gets leaner as I drive it.

    A lot of time a weak spark will make you feel the carb is running real
    lean.

    One thing the hot rod crowd often adds is a cheapo fuel pressure gauge
    on a brass T at the inlet of a carb. This is a good idea because it
    can tell you if your pump is putting out its 2-1/3 to 4 pounds of
    pressure. It's also a quick way to tell if fuel is getting to the carb
    if you need to.

    Anyway

    Running lean

    - Bad accelerator pump,
    - you blocked the hole at the underside base of the carb last time you
    had it off and put on a new base gasket
    - Float level too low or leaking float
    - float valve sticking shut
    - float level set too low
    - main jet partially clogged
    - vacuum leak somewhere.

    Check to see that you are not getting a weak spark. Check point gap
    first. Replacement points are not as good as they used to be. When is
    the last time you changed spark plug wires?

      Who knows maybe it is time to install a pertronix system.

    If you decide to go after a rebuilt carb tell the counter person that
    you have a 1954 Chevy with the original six cylinder engine.

    TeriAnn