Re: [lro] Pintle Hitch

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 23:26:44 EDT

    >Good Evening,
    >
    > I am in the process of purchasing a pintle hitch for a new Canadian ex-MOD
    >trailer I've bought to tow behind my SWB Series III civilian spec Rover. The
    >Rover parts manual shows an adapter plate is required to mount the hitch on
    >the rear crossmember - looks like an easy fab job. Is it necessary to
    >reinforce the civilian spec rear crossmember or is it simply a matter of the
    >holes not lining up? It's only a 1/2 ton trailer - anybody simply hawged out
    >the holes on the crossmember? Thanks in advance....

    Don't drill holes in the cross member. There's a whole bunch of
    pieces that reinforce the middle of it, and drilling them out would
    cause problems. The adapter kit also comes with a piece of 1/4 inch
    plate that keeps the mounting bolts from pulling through the back of
    the cross member. If you're a competent welder, it would an hour's
    work to make up the whole set-up yourself. One improvement would be
    to provide a mounting for safety chains directly on the crossmember.
    As supplied, if the mounting plate parts company with the
    crossmember, so do the chains -- and your trailer!

    David