[lro] weird gear oil mix

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 23:57:51 EDT

I had my 109 up on a lift this afternoon to adjust the brakes, and
put oil in the various places it comes out. I thought that the front
diff lube had been contaminated with water, as it was that color.
Since there was a drain pan handy, I changed it. While it drained, I
did some other things, and came back in twenty minutes or half an
hour. The oil in the drain tub wasn't a uniform brown, but had
separated into layers -- a dirty gear oil layer, a water/gear oil
emulsion layer, and a strange layer of gray foam. It was about the
consistency of whipped cream, and didn't seem to be oily (it didn't
feel oily between my finger tips. Any ideas?

David