Re: [lro] Clutch MC fittings and Crank-Drive Koenig bolts?

From: Keith Tanner (keith@miata.net)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 12:58:21 EDT

    >The only $100 flaring set from snap-on that I'm aware of is the same as
    >the $40 kit, except it comes with a tubing cutter. As the $40 dollar kit
    >does the job, and $60 bucks is a lot of money for a tubing cutter. I've
    >used the really spendy ones a couple times, and they're nice, but for the
    >amount of flaring I'll do in my life couldn't imagine spending $300 on a tool.

    There is a huge difference between the Snap-On and the cheapie they sell at
    AutoZone. I get better, more consistent flares with the good tool and the
    tools don't break in half. I don't know if Snap-On sells one without the
    cutter. It's a good cutter :)

    Just because he put teflon tape on a fitting once doesn't mean he can't
    learn to do things right. There's no rocket science involved in making a
    good flare. Buy a $3 length of line and you can practice until your fingers
    fall off.

    Keith