Re: [lro] Clutch MC fittings and Crank-Drive Koenig bolts?

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 12:41:00 EDT

    >>If you've got the right flare nut, it's likely that the flare is
    >>damaged (bubble flares can be damaged by over torqueing), or you've
    >>got a double flare on the pipe, or the machined mating surface at
    >>the bottom of the outlet hole in the master is damaged. I'd bet on
    >>a problem with the pipe, though. If the flare nut is good, you can
    >>get a competent mechanic to reflare the end for you, or buy a new
    >>pipe from your favorite land rover parts place.
    >
    >It's easy enough to do your own flares, too. AutoZone will lend you
    >a crap tool that will do the job, but the $100 Snap-On actually does
    >work much better. Just make sure the end of the pipe is square and
    >that you chamfer the inner diameter.

    I'm not sure someone who put teflon tape on a brake fitting really
    ought to be making flares...

    The only $100 flaring set from snap-on that I'm aware of is the same
    as the $40 kit, except it comes with a tubing cutter. As the $40
    dollar kit does the job, and $60 bucks is a lot of money for a tubing
    cutter. I've used the really spendy ones a couple times, and they're
    nice, but for the amount of flaring I'll do in my life couldn't
    imagine spending $300 on a tool.