[lro] U-joint buggery

From: Patrick Parsons (patrickparsons@hawaii.rr.com)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 20:32:17 EDT

    Ok, the squealing noise in my rear end returned even after greasing the area
    liberally inside and out.

    ;-)

    So, I dropped the prop shaft. As I suspected, one axis of the rearmost
    u-joint is "frozen" as far as my hands trying to budge it go. The engine and
    tranny get it to move, but with that squeak-squeak sound.

    Now that I've got the Circlips out, I cant get anything else unstuck. Can't
    figure out how to get the caps out of the yokes. I figured I'd squeeze them
    out by clamping down on one cap and hoping it would pop out the other side.
    I guess I must first soak in hot water and Simple Green, then apply liberal
    doses of PB Blaster...

    Any ideas for a bitch of a u-joint will be handy...

    I don't have a press of any sort, no 12" lathe, no oxy acetylene torch...
    Have BFH and diminishing supply of beer and patience. <grins>

    --pat.