[lro] Re: U-joint buggery

From: offroaddesign@softhome.net
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 19:59:46 EDT

    Howdy. Isn't it always the way with computers. One of the 11452 nodes on my
    Algor FEA mockup has a flaw. Where's a BFH when you need one...

    _______

    Back to U joints...

     From the e mail I'm not sure if you are just unsure how to replace a u
    Joint, or are dealing with really siezed caps.

    The usual procedure is to use a small socket that just fits inside the
    diameter of the yoke eye, which presses against the cap, and not the edge of
    the yoke. On the opposite side, you use a big socket that sits on the yoke,
    and not the cap. You put this mess in a big vice (4.5" or more) and squeeze.
    The small socket pushes the cap, the larger socket allows the opposite cap
    to exit and once this is all apart it's usually pretty easy to get the new
    one in. Just make sure all the needle bearings in the caps are perfectly
    aligned as you press the parts back in with the vise. Assembly is the
    reverse of disassembly. Sort of.

    If it's really siezed caps, I'd heat it with a mapp gas torch, or propane,
    coleman camp stove, etc, and then dump it in cold water, repeat a few times,
    squirt it with some "stuff" and then try it again. Basically, anything to
    heat and cool this puppy repeatedly will help. Hell, build a campfire, fire
    up your BBQ, Hibachi, whatever, then dunk it in something cold (NOT the
    beer). If you repeat this a few times it'll help, the eyes will heat and
    contract, and it should "break" some of the stuck-ness.

    BTW, DON'T beat on the driveshaft, you'll only end up getting the eyes all
    mucked and you'll have to die grind that puppy to get the new ones in.

    Oh, and without a vise, you are risking deep depression, extreme rage, and
    even attempted vehicide.

    Spend the 70$ on a good vise (Record, not chinese made junk) and you'll be
    happy. I returned a Record vise I had broken (bare hands!) and there was an
    evident chunk of slag in the casting acting as a stress riser. I was
    expecting to have to put up a fuss since I didn't have my reciept and it
    showed signs of being used. They took it back and replaced it NO QUESTIONS
    ASKED. How's that for a warranty.

    I didn't even get to tell them my nice little explanation for the failure!

    Good luck,

    J-L