Re: [lro] Re: U-joint buggery

From: Patrick Parsons (patrickparsons@hawaii.rr.com)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 21:19:10 EDT

    On 4/16/03 1:59 PM, "offroaddesign@softhome.net"
    <offroaddesign@softhome.net> wrote:

    > From the e mail I'm not sure if you are just unsure how to replace a u
    > Joint, or are dealing with really siezed caps.

    I thought I did. This frozen joint got me to rethink whether I had been
    doing it right. Something particularly stubborn about this one.

    > The usual procedure is to use a small socket that just fits inside the
    > diameter of the yoke eye, which presses against the cap, and not the edge of
    > the yoke. On the opposite side, you use a big socket that sits on the yoke,
    > and not the cap. You put this mess in a big vice (4.5" or more) and squeeze.

    That's more or less the way I was doing it, to no avail. I now have the
    joint soaking, and put a call in to the local driveline shop. $10 to change
    it, and they have VBFHs and hydraulics.

    This is what I get for 10 years of occasionally greasing it. It has served
    its purpose and considering the cost of the part, it has been depreciated
    many times over. Glad I got it out before it grenaded.

    --pat.