[lro] While I have the cylinder head out...

From: Robert Palmer (rbpalmer_nrt@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2003 - 21:16:04 EDT

    Finished pulling the cylinder head - and found the exhaust valve in cylinder
    #2 had a couple of pie-shaped gouges in it. Beyond that, all of the valves
    look pretty sooty - which coincides with my sooty spark plugs (I had them in
    there for less than 30 minutes running time and they came out coated in
    black soot) - so I guess I get to lean out the mixture screw on the carb
    once I get everything back together.

    So a couple of questions :) First, I'll be ordering all of the bits to
    replace the exhaust valve, plus the replacement head gasket. Rest of them
    look fine - so is there anything else I should be ordering while I have this
    torn open?

    Second - How can I tell if my head has already been milled to 8:1 or not? I
    checked for the stamp and it looks like a 7:1 head. Can I go by the push
    rod length, or should I get the thickness measured, and mill down to 3.590"
    (v. 3.690")

    Thanks!

    Bob Palmer
    '69 Series IIA 88