Re: [lro] While I have the cylinder head out...

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2003 - 23:51:45 EDT

>Finished pulling the cylinder head - and found the exhaust valve in
>cylinder #2 had a couple of pie-shaped gouges in it. Beyond that,
>all of the valves look pretty sooty - which coincides with my sooty
>spark plugs (I had them in there for less than 30 minutes running
>time and they came out coated in black soot) - so I guess I get to
>lean out the mixture screw on the carb once I get everything back
>together.
>
>So a couple of questions :) First, I'll be ordering all of the bits
>to replace the exhaust valve, plus the replacement head gasket.
>Rest of them look fine - so is there anything else I should be
>ordering while I have this torn open?

Take it to your machine shop first. Get it magnafluxed, checked for
flatness (and milled flat if needed) and so on. They can then tell
you if it's worth fixing or not; they'll also tell you if you need
guides and such. Minimum is to do all the exhaust vales and hardened
seats (your shop can probably supply these for less than a rover
parts place) and seals and such.