[lro] End of the saga (maybe) for the Series IIA

From: Robert Palmer (rbpalmer_nrt@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2003 - 21:29:52 EDT

    First - thanks to all of those that offered advice when our Series IIA
    decided to die in the middle if I-80 in rush hour :P Since it just finished
    it's 40 mile test drive without a hitch (including going up and down large
    hills, speeds from 15 to 50, and numerous stops) we're calling it fixed.

    First steps were to replace the wires and plugs, rotor arm, distributor cap,
    and adjust the alternator belt (there was the intermittent squealing on take
    off of a loose belt so we tightened it down to take that out of the mix).
    The way it's acting made me think the problem lay between the coil and the
    pertronix, so we tried the quick tune-up options first.

    Rode out to breakfast and she started hesitating again within 5 miles.
    Stopped to fill the tank since it was on 1/4 (in case the problem was a
    clogged breather or a faulty gauge), and noticed that the breather hose had
    a kink in it! I tied a wrap around the hose to force it back into an 'o'
    shape, and then rove fine up to the restaurant (another mile or so) without
    incident. In case this was the prob all along, we decided to take her and
    see about replacing the hose. Drove another ten miles without incident.
    Stopped at an auto parts store, replaced the breather hose, and headed home.
      All was looking good... But then two or three miles down the road, the
    truck suddenly sputtered and died and we had to coast into the Wal-Mart
    parking lot.

    At this point, I decided the best thing to do would be to go grab a spare
    coil (just in case) and tools. After a few hours we returned. First thing
    to be checked was fuel. Fuel is definitely not the issue - she wouldn't
    start, yet there was plenty of fuel coming from the fuel pump. Replaced the
    wire from the coil to the fuse box, replaced the positive battery cable,
    replaced one of the alternator wires. Even with this, she would start, idle
    fine, but when you went to move she would sputter out and die almost
    immediately. The next part was to swap the coil. Previously, I had taken
    the spade terminals from the old Lucas coil and fixed them to the screw on
    posts of the new coil so I could use the existing spade connectors. Just in
    case they were causing some problem, I replaced the three connectors (Coil
    +, Pertronix +, Pertronix - ) with eye connectors and screwed them down onto
    the coil. This seemed to work, and I got back home (a trip of only three or
    four miles) without a hitch. I decided that was enough adventure for one
    day and let her sit overnight.

    Today we did the test run - a 5 mile drive to breakfast, then the workout...
    There's a 2.5 mile loop around our town that encompasses two stops, speed
    limits from 15 to 55, and a 1.5 mile long hill (up/down grade) - Did this
    for 16 laps (40 miles) with no problem (although we got a lot of strange
    looks from the neighbors...

    ...So looks like it was either the coil itself (only two months old) or one
    of the connectors. I'll be taking it into work again (100 mile round trip)
    and we'll see if that was it :)