[lro] Oil temp question on 2.5L NA diesel

From: Fabricated Advanced Bldgs 2 (fbs@madnet.net)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 12:31:09 EDT

    How do you tell if your oil temperature is too hot? I have a 2.5L NA
    diesel and the temp gauge reads just below red after about 20 min of
    steady driving. So far it does not move into the red, but the ambient
    temp is still relatively low here in CA. The water temp gauge moves
    to the midpoint and stops. The engine has an oil cooler that seems to
    be functioning (the cooler/lines get hot tho the touch when the oil
    thermostat opens). I've tested the thermostat for the oil cooler and
    it opens at about 170F. Voltage output at the gauge is about 6.3-6.4V
    and the same at the temp sender. If I run the truck until the gauge
    reads just below the red, stop, pull the oil filter off and stick a
    digital temp gauge in the remaining oil in the filter it reads about
    190-195F. The truck runs great, does not excessively burn oil, and
    does not seem to be running hot. Any suggestions would be much
    appreciated.

    Matt
    Ex-MOD 2.5L Diesel 90
    1999 Disco SI