Re: [lro] Oil temp question on 2.5L NA diesel

From: jimfoo (jimfoo@purplemountain.net)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 19:42:17 EDT

    190-195F is definately not too hot. I have never had an oil temp gauge,
    but I know oil is usually closer to 250 than 200. Synthetic can take
    more heat without breaking down than conventional, a lot more. I just
    swiped this off a web site talking about oil temps. Hope it helps. It is
    for air cooled VW engines BTW...

    * What is a "correct" temperature?

    180 F: too cool; is the thermostat still there?

    180-210: peachy.

    210-250: can live with it; many busses w/ type4 engines get that hot under load in
    the summer.

    250-280: something is wrong and must be fixed; however, viscosity of good synthetic
    oil should still be fine. If it's after dark
    and I'm in East St. Louis, I keep on driving.

    280 F: better stop; unless the oil pressure light is on (in which case you must shut
    the engine off immediately!), let the
    engine run. Glen Buhlman recommends that it not be left idling, but that revving it
    will allow the fan to do a better job of
    cooling the engine.

    --
    Jim Hall
    1966 88" Elephant Chaser