[lro] Transfer Case Questions

From: John M. Baker (jmbaker@bkk2.loxinfo.co.th)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 04:45:32 EDT

    Question 1:

    I just changed the oil in my transfer case. Since installing an Ashcroft
    about 3 years ago (?) I think I have changed the oil 3 times. Each time I
    notice that the oil has a very noticeable bronze sheen, which I assume is from
    wear on the two huge thrust washers around the Intermediate gear. When I
    installed said gear I was very careful to check that the clearance was just
    right, using shimstock behind the the thrust washers. My transfer case is
    quiet and I don't have any unusual symptoms, but I wonder why there is so much
    bronze in the oil. Is that normal or indicative of some problem?

    Question 2:

    As usual the transfer case was running a bit low on oil. I have a very slow
    leak from the front seal and perhaps a bit from the case cover, but over time
    it adds up. Before the Ashcroft I actually burned the previous transfer case
    up when it ran low on oil. It ocurred to me when I was underneath that it
    would provide an additional level of safety if the cover, instead of being
    flat and slanted, was deep so that it held more oil. In other words, the
    bottom of the deep cover would run parallel and just above the frame
    crossmember, allowing it to hold an additional couple of liters of oil. Now of
    course it would be better to have a non-leaking transfer case, but that is
    often easier said then done, and in my case probably involves resurfacing or
    replacing the output shaft so that it seals better. Has anyone ever seen a
    cover like that available? I may just have one made up over here unless there
    is some reason why it is a bad idea. The only one I can think of is if you are
    a rock crawler it puts a portion of the cover closer to a projecting rock, but
    since the cover would be behind and slightly above the frame crossmember I
    don't think it would be a severe risk.

    John
    Bangkok
    1975 SIII 109 2.25 Petrol