Re: [lro] Salisbury Axles and finding TDC...

From: Alan J. Richer (mrchurchill109@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2003 - 16:07:27 EDT

    --- Robert Palmer <rbpalmer_nrt@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > How about for someone who's never gone further than
    > rebuilding a carb and
    > swapping around ancilliaries? I do have the workshop
    > manual as well as the
    > Haynes book.

    Read the manual, Luke...do not fall prey to the Dark
    Side....8*)

    Seriously, if there is any vehicle in the world easier to
    learn not-so-basic mechanics on than a Land-Rover I've yet
    to run into it. It had been a LOT of years for me when I
    yanked my first LR head and went into the engine, so I
    wasn't all that far off where you are now.

    You can do it. There are some basics to remember, though,
    when opening an engine.

    1. Cleanliness is paramount - making sure all the mating
    surfaces where gaskets go are clean, and keep ing oil and
    water apart and out of each others' passages and the like
    is very important. Otherwise inoccuous things - like
    coolant in bolt holes for the head - can ruin an engine.

    Keep it clean, keep it dry, and keep it organized!

    2. Organization is key. When taking out pushrods keep them
    numbered as to which cylinder they came out of. Ditto
    washers, bolts and hardware - ZIploc bags and an indelible
    marker are invaluable for keeping the thermostat bolts
    apart from the valve cover bolts apart from the...you get
    the picture.

    Masking tape with the aforementioned marker is a Godsend
    for things like wires, hoses and the like - labeling the
    end of the removed item with where it needs to go will save
    you no end of time in the long run.

    3. RTFM and follow it! They do things for a reason. WHen
    you get your feet wetter then you can start to take
    liberties with the procedures - but not now. There is one
    among us here who is a pathologist - never had gone into a
    transmission. He did a complete rebuild simply with good
    tools, commonsense - and the manual.(Hi, Nate!)

    4. Take your time and pay attention to the details. THis is
    self-explanatory, but attention to detail is the key to
    successful work. Do it right the first time and you won't
    have to do it over - or replace ruined parts.

    5. Use the right tool - if you don't buy it rent it. Using
    the right tool can save you no end of time and sanity -
    also save you from ruined parts. Torque specs are given for
    a reason for things like head bolts - you don't want to
    overtorque or undertorque those.

    And above all relax - it ain't rocket science. Any truck
    that can be maintained in a jungle clearing with a hammer
    and a King Dick spanner is pretty forgiving.

         aj"How many times have I given this bloody speech..."r

    =====
    The journey is the destination. Anything else is illusion.

    Please ignore the following advertising.....
    http://tax.yahoo.com