Re: [lro] Parts purchase strategy

From: Richard Joltes (djoltes@attglobal.net)
Date: Mon Mar 31 2003 - 00:27:52 EST

    Paul,

    I buy direct from the UK all the time and usually find it's a
    lot less expensive except for very heavy items (wheels, T-cases,
    etc.) since up to now I've only used air freight. I've ordered
    from Craddock and Autopost; never tried Paddock. Some places
    are better than others for specific items...shop around.

    If you're not in a hurry and can pre-plan what you need--and
    if Paddock are willing to pack for shipping in this manner--
    you'd save a bundle by opting for surface freight. Lead time
    is obviously longer than by air--likely a month--and if you're
    not near a port you need to arrange for the goods to be picked
    up and re-shipped to your location somehow. This is where it
    may get dicey price-wise; it all depends on your location and
    how much truck freight might cost.

    I'm actually thinking of importing some items for sale; I met
    with a mate in the UK who runs one of the larger parts houses
    and he said he can get very good rates on surface carriage;
    air freight is very pricey as it's by weight, whereas surface
    is by cube. It'd be nice if I could get one of my hobbies to
    pay for itself for a change!

    cheers,

    dj
    1974 SIII Airportable, 'Smudger'