Re: [lro] Parts purchase strategy

From: Peter Ogilvie (roverhi@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Mar 30 2003 - 23:55:46 EST

    Depends on where you are. If you live on the east
    coast and can get to a major port easily, it's very
    cheap and fast to ship stuff surface freight from
    England. If goods have to be transshipped from the US
    POE, you need to have a shipping agent, etc. surface
    freight costs can go up rapidly. Haven't shipped any
    Rover parts but shipped a bunch of boat parts
    including light weight things like anchors. Was
    amazed how reasonable it was, walked it through
    customs, didn't need an agent and stuff was in my
    hands in under two weeks. Helped that I was living in
    Norfolk, VA, though.

    If your sending big and/or heavy items via UPS/FEDEX
    the costs can be truly astronomical. Even small parts
    can be pricey to ship via the 'quick' guys. One nice
    thing about UPS/FedEx is there is no customs hassle.
    Any Brit. supplier should be able to quote the freight
    costs before you order.

    One big advantage of dealing with a US parts place is
    returning parts. Whether they or you mess up,
    shipping stuff back to Merrie Olde can ruin any hoped
    for savings.

    Aloha
    Peter O.